𝘽𝙧𝙞𝙩𝙞𝙨𝙝-𝙎𝙞𝙖𝙢 𝙗𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙𝙖𝙧𝙮 𝙨𝙩𝙤𝙣𝙚 𝙬𝙖𝙨 𝙚𝙧𝙚𝙘𝙩𝙚𝙙 𝙖𝙩 𝙋𝙞𝙣𝙖𝙣𝙜 𝙏𝙪𝙣𝙜𝙜𝙖𝙡 𝙞𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙚 1800𝙨 𝙩𝙤 𝙢𝙖𝙧𝙠 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙤𝙛𝙛𝙞𝙘𝙞𝙖𝙡 𝙗𝙤𝙧𝙙𝙚𝙧 𝙗𝙚𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙚𝙣 𝙎𝙞𝙖𝙢 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙋𝙚𝙣𝙖𝙣𝙜.
𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘴 𝘵𝘰𝘥𝘢𝘺!
It is common knowledge that Penang island was surrendered to the British in exchange for protection from the Siamese attacks. While building Fort Cornwallis and prioritizing Georgetown as a new entrepot, the British did not have the resources to help Kedah. Disappointed with the British, the Sultan of Kedah consistently launched attacks to defeat the British on the Penang island.
The British must quell the incessant attacks to ensure the safety of traders and settlers. In 1802, Sir George Leith negotiated a lease of Seberang Perai with Sultan Dhiauddin Mukarram Shah II.
At first, Province Wellesley was just a land strip opposite Penang from Kuala Sungai Muda to Kuala Sungai Kerian. However, after the Siamese-British treaty in 1831, the land that belonged to the British increased. This is the time when the border stone of Pinang Tunggal was erected. Additionally, a village was named Kampung Batu Terat (Border Stone village) when the boundary stone was constructed.
It is interesting to note that although Penang and Seberang Perai originally belonged to Kedah, the inscription on the border stone is written as "British & Siamese Boundary." The word Kedah is not mentioned at all, denying the power of Kedah as the original owner.